Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Journey:

The holidays are a busy time for selling here at 758. It's also when I do a lot of supply hunting, cleaning, de-stashing and creating!

I try to only use the income from the Strung-Out project to perpetuate it. Sometimes I can't resist a certain sparkly thing - especially when I travel. I tend to map my route to include bead stores, arming myself with a map covered in stars when I set out on an adventure.

When I bring my loot home and incorporate it into the collection [sorted by color and type, because I'm an OCD nutcase,] the creative process ensues. How do I make this stuff? I open my mind and let every little thing inspire me. It can be a cheesy theme, the seasons, a smell or memory, a flower or critter...I let the colors and moods drive me to pick out the materials that I weave into bracelets.

When I'm playing in my studio, I get to remember the roads I went down to get the things I work with. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure to be able to reflect on the past, and keep it alive in my jewelry.

I create tons of bracelets because they're economical. They use a single guitar string. It saves some beads for another go-round if the concept sells out, or maybe a matching necklace. Bracelets are the one night stand of the jewelry box. They're fun. They might be crazy, but that's okay. They're a big statement without the commitment.

The featured item today is the Green Fairy earrings. The nifty mint/opal-ish focal beads came from a full strand of multicolored vintage German glass beads that are apparently quite rare and worth a bunch. I discovered them at The Bead Place in Belleville, IL when we were visiting family. Instead of being afraid to use them because of their "value," they've been making their way into my stuff all year long. I don't believe in hiding things away if they're valuable. It's art, and it should be enjoyed by everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment